Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

Ford f-250: , I am working on a 1995 f-250 with a 7.3

Customer Question

Hello, I am working on a 1995 f-250 with a 7.3 diesel, there was coolant leaking from the front of the motor, I could not see exactly where so I think it is the water pump, before I pulled the pump I started it to get it on my ramps and it was leaking coolant bad but also it was squirting oil out from the same area, so I pulled the pump and there is a lot of oil around below the pump, where do you think it may be coming from? Thank you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! Are you referring to oil on the exterior of the engine around the water pump or in the water pump itself? If the exterior of the engine, it could be from the front crank seal or the front timing cover gasket. These engines tend to leak in both of those locations. If the oil is thick and black, like it is old, then it is most likely a slow seep through that doesn't need an immediate repair done right away. Slow seeps from the crank seal for example can last for years and never turn into anything more than a minor seep. Now if the oil is wet and looks a little more fresh, then I would use some engine degreaser and start using a rag with the degreaser sprayed on it to start looking for a fresh oil area in those 2 locations I mentioned.__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer! Jeremy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello, and thank you Jeremy, I just got back from the auto parts with the new water pump, and the guy said that the oil could be from the clutch fan going bad cause they have oil in them, I did not know that, but it looks ok, when I started it up it looked like a gush of oil then water, but it did not look like they were mixed together, I am a shade tree mechanic but I have been working on cars for 30 or more years, so what I was going to do was pressure wash the front of the engine and start it up and see if there is oil coming out some where, what do you think?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
Just be careful when washing the enigne that you don;t get the PCM and the glow plug module wet. That would be the best option to be sure. The viscous could be losing oil as well as the crank shaft damper. Usually when they lose oil, you get i splattering on the hood as well from the oil being slung so those are signs to also look for. Washing the engine off and going from there is the best idea.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Jeremy, I am trying to ask a follow up question before I give a rating, can I do that?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
Of course. As long as the same vehicle for similar issue per the site rules here. It has to at least be the same vehicle before it gets flagged...
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating. Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond. I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not. We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.