Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 1998 ford explorer with a 4.0 lt sometimes I have

Customer Question

I have a 1998 ford explorer with a 4.0 lt sometimes I have to use starter fluid to start it. After running about 20 miles the fuel pressure cuts back and I have to let the vehicle cool down before I can restart it. I can hear the fuel pump running when it has cooled down. pressure is apparent at the bleeder valve on top of the engine. This vehicle has been in an accident but I would think the inertia fuel shut off would not be the cause because this is a intermittent situation. Also I was wondering could it be the fuel pressure regulator mounted on top of the engine cutting out the engine gets hot.
In summary not always but sometimes I have to use starter fluid starting the vehicle. And after about 20 miles of travel the vehicle won't start until it cools down.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist can you check the fuel pressure?? it needs to be an exact pressure. if it is low, it will give you these symptoms. it does sound like the fuel pump has or is failing. it is giving enough to run after you prime it but it will fail completely.