Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I tried to start my truck, would not start. Noticed that I

Customer Question

I tried to start my truck, would not start. Noticed that I had no oil pressure on the gauge.
Checked oil. was fine. pulled plug on top of the HPOP. It was low. Added oil and started up after a few cranks. Is my HPOP bad? or what do i need to check?Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Once you added oil to the HPOP reservoir and it started did it run fine and did the oil pressure gauge read fine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
after cranking for like 15 seconds yes it started and ran fine. kept pressure
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your fast response.
Thanks, ***** ***** pressure oil pump is to blame for the reservoir draining down while the vehicle is off. If you need the replacement steps, let me know. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please, Are they able to be rebuilt? I should also say that I had the front of the truck up on Jacks earlier today for several hours. Any chance that is why it drained down?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also, would you recommend any particular brand? Looks like a ford replacement is a bit out of my price range.
I prefer motorcraft brand.Here are the replacement steps. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/HPOP.pdfI doubt the truck jacked up is to blame.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
does this year still have a check valve in or at the HPOP that could be bad?
There is not a replaceable valve in the pump.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thanks
ill read over the instructions in the morning, and get back to you or rate you afterwards
thanks again
Your welcome
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
update- The tuck will start today after cranking for 15 seconds or so the oil pressure gauge jumps and falls the goes back to normal. It smokes to be expected. runs fine.
I was not able to check the HPOP reservoir as the plug is starting to or already is stripped.
My question is what part do you think would have caused this? would a rebuild kit from international or an oring kit fix the issue?
You must confirm the HPOP reservoir is low prior to cranking next time. If its low then a replacement HPOP is needed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I confirmed that last night.
What would have caused this? And would it be able to be rebuilt?
The HPOP can be rebuilt but I do not know how. There are no directions to do so. The ones I get from my dealer parts counter are refurbished. I als do not know where to buy the parts for it if you attempted to rebuild it. Internal failure of the pump is to blame.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, So here is where i am at today.
I pulled the plug on the HPOP this morning and it is near full. Noticeable oil in the valley on top of engine. Pulled ICP plug and dripping oil. Replaced ICP. tried to start. Cranked for 15 or seconds and started slowly. Meaning that it started to fire and eventually started. any suggestions?
Thanks for the new details, so was there oil in the valley of the engine prior to starting the repairs or inspections?After it sits 4 hours or more is the reservoir back down and is there oil in the valley?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the valley did have some oil prior. I will check today when i get home and let it sit for a bit.
Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
im going to let the truck sit over night and check again in the morning.
Connected scanner to truck the Injector Control Pressure builds to 355 pis before starting. and idles at 476 psi
Pulled error codes:
P1280 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low
P1212 Injector Control Pressure Lower Than Desired (engine crank or run)Could have possibly be the IPR?thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also what should the PSI be ?
You need a minimum 500 psi to start. Both codes can be caused by the HPOP leaking the reservoir oil back into the crank case or the valley.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thats crazy i dont have 500 while at idle.
the 2 times i ran the scanner while starting the first was 355 psi then it started...the second was 368 psi then started.
The pressure can drop once running but it should get to 500 prior to starting.Can you monitor it on a hot restart when you do not have to crank it a long time.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I got the 368 psi on a hot start. still need to crank for while.
Was the reservoir low prior to cranking?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok this morning after sitting all night. the HPOP reservoir was half empty.
The reservoir must remain full prior to doing any other diag. So if the oil is leaking by a bad pump to reservoir seal into the valley then that has to be addressed. If its not leaking overnight into the valley or while running then the HPOP must be replaced. Thanks for letting me help and for rating my response.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not sure where it is leaking form. the Oil lines are dry and clean. I checked back on my service records and they said one of the fittings on the back of the hpop was lose and they tightened it up and that must have slowed the leak. Not sure what fitting they would have tightened maybe the IPR? Oil is for sure present in the valley. Would taking it down and washing it out so I can better see what may be leaking hurt anything? I dont want to get water where water is not supposed to be...
Washing the valley out with hot water and dawn will not hurt.If the HPOP to reservoir gasket is leaking or if the HPOP is leaking into the valley then while running oil would be pouring out of the valley down the back of the engine while running.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still working on it
Just a heads up the post is due to time out and close on the 21st. Which is why I am trying to stay in contact.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks
Your welcome hope to hear back from you by 10:27 pm Saturday
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, so I was able to reseal hpop. When i disconnected the oil lines one of the inner seal/ metal retaining rings? was half missing. I replaced that fitting. Filled reservoir with oil and cranked a few times. How ever the batteries where getting low and did not fire up. Let it sit over night. Connected charger. Checked oil reservoir and was still full no bleed off or leaking. cranked up and it started. I still had one of the valve covers off and it started gushing oil out and around one of the injectors. was not able to pull any of the drain plugs for the oil rail or the one at the rear of the head. started pulling injectors decided to change the orings on all 4. My question is how in the world can i evacuate the oil from the cylinders so i don't cause any harm.
You will need to remove the glow plugs and crank the engine to get the oil out. If you crank it with the oil not reduced it can bend a rod.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I ended up using the mighty vac. worked great. Did not suck out as much as i thought i would. Installed injectors per Jhl3's direction. after a long crank she fired up and ran rough for a few seconds and idled as normal. No oil squirting from the injectors. I started to put it back together. Once The truck was back together Checked the oil and it was at a safe level. Started her up and was another long crank and she fired up. I let it run for a while to be able to check for leaks and to get any air out of the lines. all is well for about 10 min. then she just died. Hooked up AE and pulling codes 1293 & 1294 high side back open's. No other codes. ICP does not show any volts or pressure. IPR duty cycle when starting is about 50%
We are still having an issue with the truck starting and then dying at idle. Have not dared take it out on the road. Then she wont start. Let it sit for a while and she will start and then just stop running like some one turned the key off.
Any one have any ideas? if its air in the system how do i get this out?
Buzz test successful.
re-connected 42 pin connector.
We have been going at this since the 14th and I do not see any progress or end in site. Maybe another tech can help better than me and get you fixed up. I am opting out so another can try.