camerontech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech

2007 ford escape 3.0, el charging problems. Battery good recharged

Customer Question

2007 ford escape 3.0, el charging problems. Battery good recharged ck, still not charging. did snap test, 4500 rpm for 3 sec, voltage jumped to 13.5 , then after a few min, felll back to 12.2 and falling. added supplemental ground , voltage same , still no charging. Any thoughts?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked battery , GOOD. tried extra ground , still no good, did snap test . ran eng to 4500RPM. voltage jumped to 13.5 for a few min. then fell back to 12.2 and falling .
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: 140,000 miles on it , belt good Battery good
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  camerontech replied 5 months ago.
hi there,im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech.this sounds like a bad alternator to me. these are internally regulated
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do i verify ? regulator or alt, or woring ??
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OR wiring problem ....i ment
if it jumped to 13v for a few seconds or mins, than the wiring should be ok. IF the wiring was bad than there would have been no voltage jump at all. The regulator is inside the alternator.The only way to test it is with a charging system testor and monitor the amperage output of the alt.i can send you a charging wiring diagram and you can do some continutiy tests if you like. but everything you say is pointing to the alternator
let me know how you make out!please take a moment to rate me as it is important fir my pagethanks and i appreciate positive rating!cam
hi there,how did your repair go?please dont forget to rate me!thanks againcam
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As a heat mechanic , when some one pays me for advice in my expertise, "Sounds like" has never been in my vocabulary, for it would instill no confidence in customers as to my abilities .
The reason for paying for expert advise is simply, to bypass the guessing game. Tell me the HACKS, wrench sticks to ALT, ALT is GooD, When that is not possible, Well we need other empirical evidence . As is this case , ALT is not reachable without disassembly. This was all the 8 hours job( ford billing) , for no manuals , never having had done it , It took the best of two days. SO.....guess what I am thinking the whole time during this ordeal....Hmmm....Paid some guy for his guess, Hoping like hell this is really the problem.....
we do our best to help diagnose over the computer.its the same as you diagnosing a heating problem over the phone. you would never tell someone just to replace something without testing can test the alternator without removing it, but you need proper test equipment for this. IF you had this, you would not be asking for advice on how to test it.i instructed you that it had to be properly tested.i give expert advice with the equipment that the average diy has.not once did i tell you to "replace the alternator", It pointed to it and it required amperage output testing.I did ask you to check the amperage output, and if you wanted a wiring diagram, but never received a reply.
my appologies, if it sounded like i was guessing.the info you gave me from my experience was confident that it was the alternator.these are not fun to do ,as i have owned escapes myself and replaced 2 alternators.I do my best to point people in the right direction with the info and symptoms that i am given.If i have any doubts in my suspicions, i will always opt out and leave it for a tech to jump in, but in your case and the info given i was leaning towards the thing i wanted to make sure...if your escape has a air duct for the alternator cooling, please make sure you reinstall it.i have seen premature failure from people not reinstalling them, thinking they are not important, and the alternator can overheat