Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

I have a 2006 Ford F-150 with the 5.4 engine. It has a loud

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Ford F-150 with the 5.4 engine. It has a loud ticking noise at all rpm and all temperatures. I have repaired and replaced exhaust manifolds on both banks, noise is still there. The previous owner had timing chains and phasers changed at 180,000km, truck now has 220,000km. Also when climbing steep grades mil comes on with a p0330 code (bank 2 knock sensor). Engine idles a bit rough,never stalls, and at certain times idles smooth as silk, so can't be burnt valves, also doesn't use any oil. VVT solenoids are original. I have a stethoscope but can't identify where the ticking is coming from.
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery?
Customer: Battery is one year old and gives no trouble.
JA: Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: It doesn't stall out, just sets off mil with a p330.
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I will probably replace knock sensor, VVT solenoids and a rebuilt throttle body as during colder weather the wrench light would come on. I am not sure what else to look for.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: I probably should check hot idle oil pressure but will have to rig up some kind of gauge
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Your best bet is to replace the VCT/VVT solenoids and see if the stalls go away and the knock goes away. If that doesn't work at that point you will likely need to replace the timing chain and actuators. We replace the timing set on these trucks all of the time. As a matter of fact I have one in the shop right now. Ours was making a ticking noise and stalling out all of the time also. We pulled the timing cover and found a broken timing chain guide causing all of the noise.If you are idling in gear and then quickly pull forward a few feet and then stop does the engine stumble and almost die?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, it seems to get underway fairly well. All of the timing chains and phasers were changed by the previous owner at about 180,000km so I was hoping they would still be ok. I will just have to take it apart to know for sure.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
I did a set of cam phasers on a 2008 f150 last week that the previous owner had replaced. They were Dorman brand and only lasted about 20k miles. The driver's side phaser was completely defective and woulnd't advance the timing at all. Let me know how it looks once you get in there. I'm willing to bet you will probably see something broken or worn through somewhere. I would check the chain guides closely for signs or wear and the timing cover for rub marks, especially with the kind of noise that you are getting.