Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 1989 E350 with the 460 fuel injected and it's a

Customer Question

Hi I have a 1989 E350 with the 460 fuel injected and it's a motorhome I had to replace the transmission to replace the transmission and it started up and everything was running nope the motorhome when the tranny went out except for two years I drained all the bad guys out of it and put like $3 and you guys sent it still injector cleaner and started it up and it was running now the thing of it is is if I disconnect the fuel pump to depressurize the system it will actually run the course that is until it runs out of gas I put a new fuel pump pressure regulator and fuel filter and yes that that this thing does require two fuel pumps one from the rear and one from the frame right now both of them are working maybe you can tell me the magic thing
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes that I do I put the transmission in it myself pretty much change the plugs to you I forgot to say very mechanically inclined this just has me stumped
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Refer back to previous messages
JA: Spark plug problems can be challenging. So many causes, some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all of them. Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: I don't think it is a spark plug problem I just change them because they needed to be changed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2 years I got my motorhome broke down the transmission went out I recently put a new transmission in it drained all the bad gas and started it up and it ran I didn't drive it I just went through all the gears so I can change the fluid the next day I had 5 gallons of gas fuel injector cleaner but it would not start it will start and die then I went to change the fuel filter and depressurizing the fuel system I unhook the fuel pump in doing so it started up and I told OK and then naturally ran out of gas both fuel pumps are working the one in the rear tank and one on the frame rail how do I get this thing to run
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I replace the spark plugs fuel pressure regulator and everything else seems sound
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
If both fuel pumps are working and there is gas in the tank, there is spark and it runs for a few seconds with starting fluid, then it sounds to me as though the fuel injectors are not working. It could be as simple as a blown fuse, so check the fuel injector fuse.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No it will run just on its own gasoline and Idol so I do not believe it is the fuel injectors
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
So then what is the problem?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It will start up and idle when I disconnect the fuel pump the reason for me disconnecting the fuel pump was to depressurize the fuel system it will idle until a naturally it runs out of gas hook the fuel pump backup and it will not run
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
How are you disconnecting the fuel pump and which fuel pump?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The fuel pump that I am disconnecting is the one up front on the frame rail I am disconnecting it by pulling off the ground wire
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
And then you are allowing the engine to idle until it stalls and when you hook the fuel pump ground wire back up, then engine will not restart. Is this correct so far?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes we are on the right track
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Ok, when you turn the key to run, before you turn the key to start, can you hear the fuel pump run?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
did this just happen the one time or does this happen all of the time?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This thing ran like a watch until the transmission went out it sat for 2 years I then replace the transmission started it put fluid in it went through the gears let it idle turned it off next day I put 5 gallons of gas in it with fuel injector cleaner and it would not start
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
The fuel pump relay feeds both fuel pumps at once so if 1 runs so should the other, can you confirm if they both run and/or if there is fuel pressure?Will it start for a few seconds spraying a few shots of starting fluid into the throttle body? If not, then it's not a fuel problem.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Fuel injector cleaner in the tank? I wouldn't doubt if that cleaner didn't clean out the tank and clog that fuel filter. Change the fuel filter and try again.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No it will not start spring starting fluid in the intake
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes there is plenty of fuel pressure and I did change the fuel filter and the fuel pump itself after running about a gallon of bad gas through it which wasn't bad gas it was just what was never are in the tank after checking out as much as I could and then I added like about 4 gallons
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Then it has no spark most likely.If this just happened the one time check the ignition fuse.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's got fire and I put new plugs in it how do I check and see if it has power going to the distributor after it's in the Run mode
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Actually it's fed from fusible link and a relay, so check for voltage at the positive side of the ignition coil with the key on run.Here is the wiring diagram,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can figure that out I just don't know off the top of my head
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
About the only thing left is a jumped timing chain. Does the engine crank over faster than normal, like it has no compression?You might even want to check the engine compression on a few cylinders, if they are really low, like below 80 psi, then I believe it jumped time.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
First, double check the firing order and the ignition timing.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Does the engine pop or backfire at all when trying to start?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No it does not backfire and jumped timing chain I find it highly unbelievable at 28000 miles but then again I can roll around to talk dead center on the number one plug and find out sure that's if I feel compassion coming up the cylinder
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
One way to tell if it jumped time, is go ahead and bring the timing mark up to zero tsc, op the distributor cap and see if the rotor isn't facing exactly at #1 or #6.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Then if you have a timing light you should still be able to check the ignition timing while cranking.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
N0 grease your n95 7nderstanding. I have a place fuel pump spark plugs several other items doing with the fuel anyways when I turn on the ignition it will turn over however it will not keep running if I disengage fuel pump to depressurize it the engine will stay running until of course the fuel Runs Out why will it not stay running
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
I'm lost. I reread what you just typed like 5 times and I still don't understand what you mean. I've had a problem understanding you from the opening of this post. If you don't reread your post and I cannot understand what you are saying, I will eventually just opt out. Now, do you want to correct that grammar?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Also you said you don't understand how an engine with only 28,000 miles on it can jump a chain. Am I to assume this is an aftermarket or rebuild? If a rebuild, are you sure it has a brand new timing chain and gears?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I qm so sorry my wife tries to put in her two cents. Rest assured I put my boot up your ass sorry for the grammar I was outside trying to get it the timing marks lined up and get to the distributor cap
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her butt
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No it's the original motor original miles not leaking oil anywhere and I use synthetic oil
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.
Impressive, only 28,000 original miles.Another thing, remove a spark plug and smell if it's already gas fouled and smelling like gas.