Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Expedition: I have a 1999 Ford Expedition with almost 270,000

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Ford Expedition with almost 270,000 miles. It has been well maintained and in visibly great condition. Oil changes every 2 or 2.5 thousand miles. Driven with care. For the past year and a half or so I have been plagued with a problem of the vehicle dying periodically.
It happened to me at least a half dozen times Getting stranded in parking lots mostly and once on the interstate as I slowed to make a turn. I have been to 4 "Master" mechanics with the end result being they cant determine the problem unless they can be there when it wont start.
I have had the electronics tested twice. Most recently the shop said they tried to get a computer print out but there was nothing on the computer.
It happens on HOT days when the engine is hot. Only stops as I slow down to take a corner or mostly to enter a parking space. Used to be if I wait 30-45 minutes it would restart. Now it restarts but after 2 hours or so. It always has started after waiting.
When it wont start it sounds like it wants to but doesnt. Can you help. Battery new Alternator good. Thanks *****
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello Phil and thank you for your question,The problem you are describing sound to me like a very common problem and in most cases its caused by a weak and failing fuel pump and with the amount of miles you ave on the engine its also very likely . The problem start with the fuel pump over heating in warm weather and when it over heats it cause the fuel to foam and the engine stalls due to the lack of pressure. It also very common that once the engine and pump has had time to set and cool off for it to start and run again till it overheats again. You can verify this if you can get it to happen while you have a fuel pressure gauged installed to the fuel rail service port and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring. Normal fuel pressure needs to be right at 32 to 45 PSI, anything less then 32 will cause the engine to stall and die. Sure sounds like you need a fuel pump to me.