Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

I just took my Ford F-150, 2011 in to the Ford dealer where

Customer Question

I just took my Ford F-150, 2011 in to the Ford dealer where I bought it (2nd truck from them) because the tread was peeling off of my Michelin tires. In January, i was in a small accident, right front bumper and headlight were damaged. I was planning on a long trip and so immediately took it into the Ford place to be checked out, figured I could drive on the cracked headlight, still worked. They reportedly checked it out, said it was fine, charged me for labor, ALIGNMENT, and I had them change oil and check EVERYTHING OUT. Next day, Engine light came on. Took it back, problem was covered by warranty. Picked it up and six hours later the AdvanceTrak light came on. Turned out a common issue with 2011 F-150's leading too many complaints to NHTSA, including many accidents, but no recall. So I paid another thousand plus dollars to get it repaired. This was in late January. In early February, I had to leave town for family illness. Truck not driven on long trip after all. Gone 2 weeks. Back to drive for 3 weeks then gone for 6 weeks when Dad had another stroke. Truck sat in my driveway. Back for 3 days and took to State Farm insurance sanctioned collision repair. (Ford not approved or I would have taken it there.) In body shop for 10 days. Left again April 30 and just returned to find tread peeling off of all 4 tires. They were reported to be in the "barely" yellow zone by Ford in January. I was told by mechanic friend that tires would have to be defective for every single tread to peel like that. Took it back to Ford yesterday. They say tires were "badly" worn and alignment out by 52%!!!! This for a car that has spent much of the last four months parked in my driveway. They $1060.00 for four new Michelin tires and I am aghast. Any thoughts or explanations for how a truck could get mis-aligned by 52%? I had been very happy with both trucks and the Ford dealer until now and I am thinking i need a new Ford dealership for future service at least....
JA: Not for this question, but they might if you need additional services. You'll have to ask the Ford Mechanic about that. Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I am not prepared to do my own service. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of because of my lack of knowledge about such things. I am 61 and have always had my cars serviced and cared for scrupulously. Having two such major issues in a matter of 4 months makes me doubt the honesty of the dealership/service.
JA: OK! The Ford Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: No, it is in good shape. Serviced regularly. I do tow a horse trailer, but only once in last six months for 15 miles. I have the trailer serviced regularly too.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! You mentioned the vehicle was in an accident. Was there any frame damage done to the vehicle for that will cause the alignment to be off by that much if the alignment was done on a bent frame. Otherwise, I suggest another shop for they are taking advantage of you.__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer! Jeremy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There was no frame damage identified by either the Ford Service dealer I took it to the next day, nor any identified by the body shop who repaired the headlight and bumper.. Plus Ford aligned it after checking it after the accident. Would they not have checked the frame first since the accident was specifically why I took it in to them the day after the accident?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.
They should have noted if there was frame damage. So I'm presuming it was a really minor accident then. 52% is a lot to be off on an alignment. Either the alignment wasn;t done right the first time or something was left loose and the alignment went off that way. I'm going to presume they did it wrong the first time and got rushed doing it with the wrong information in the alignment machine. To be off and not drive the vehicle is really odd. For the tires to be all bad, that can happen from a vehicle that sits for a little while, but usually for a period of a year or better, not just a few weeks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So how would you suggest I approach the service manager?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.
I would ask him the same things you did here. How can my alignment be that far off if I haven't driven the truck since the last alignment? Either your original alignment was off or the current one is exaggerated. Which is it?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.
That is how I would approach him. Somewhere you are getting ripped off and they need to explain how the numbers are what they are.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.
I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating. Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond. I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not. We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was not satisfied and canceled the subscription. I provided my explanation as to why. I feel like you were shooting from the hip, repeating what I asked and suggesting yes, I might be getting tipped off... I have since determined that is a more complicated issue and that my insurance company's policies regarding when a front end alignment is called is also a part of the issue. I turned to JustAsk to educate myself regarding proper alignment protocol and the impact on tire shredding. I got your opinions, not what I was looking for. Sorry. I am sure you are perfectly competent but just did not understand what I was asking about.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 5 months ago.
I will opt out. Good luck.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. The tech that was helping has opted out, would you like me to try and assist you?