HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Ranger: Ron. My Ford Ranger has was feels like an incredible

Customer Question

Hello Ron. My Ford Ranger has was feels like an incredible misfire. It's a 2000 4.0L V6. Idles very rough, run very rough going up hills. Shudders terribly in these conditions. Higher rpm either I can no longer feel it or it self corrects. It is throwing many codes: P0153, P1151, P0303, P0304, P0171, and P0174. I hope these codes are all related as it was running fine a week ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Hello, is this a 4.0 SOHC engine? How many miles are on it? It was running ok prior to replacing the plugs or you tried this and no change? Same codes after replacing the plugs? Does the check engine light flash while running or driving?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I believe so on the engine. It ran fine before and after the plugs they were just replaced fairly recently so I figured I should mention it. Engine light is on steady, does not flash.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing has been done since it started acting up.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Ok you got misfire codes and lean codes, it is possible you have a weak fuel pump making the engine run lean so hook up a fuel pressure gauge to verify fuel pressure is good and solid and not running low under a load. Does the engine crank over normally or does it sound like it hiccups or catches when trying to start the vehicle? how many miles are on the engine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
155k miles on the engine. I am unaware of any service done as I just bought the truck a couple months ago. It starts normally and I can hear the pump operating right before i turn it over. Would a weak pump make two cylinder misfire but not the others? It goes ok if I floor it or the rpm are up.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
possibly, but with how you are explaining the issue, it runs poorly at idle and worse while driving, im thinking you may have an engine valvetrain issue. these sohc engines are known for jumping timing chains when they get higher mileage on them. Would need to verify fuel pressure, engine compression test to be sure those items are ok.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Hello, do you need more help or information with this concern?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 6 months ago.
Do you need more help?