Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

2006 ford escape just notice battery light came on then off

Customer Question

2006 ford escape just notice battery light came on then off for a minute then on again
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: was driving today noticed battery light came on for a few minutes then off then came back on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: only looked at the serpentine belt looked ok
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Usually this indicates the alternator has stopped charging. What I would do is take it to a parts store and have the alternator tested. It should produce at least 14.2 volts under load. This is with the headlights, blower and wipers on. If it's anything less, then it's not charging properly and should be replaced.They will test it for you at no charge. You cannot run it to long this way or the battery will drain and it will leave you stranded, but if you have one nearby it's the best testing.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!