A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

Expedition eddie bauer: 2000 Ford expedition eddie bauer 4x4

Customer Question

2000 Ford expedition eddie bauer 4x4 after driving and using the a/c for about an hour I stopped for an errand for about two min. when I got back into the vehicle to start it, the engine turned over but would not fire, after about 45 min.I restated the truck without any problem and drove for another hour before stopping and after about a minute I switched on the key but did not attempt to start it. Could not hear the fuel pump and the temp had risen from the residual engine heat. Again it would not start until the engine cooled down to about half operating temp. There was no issue while driving. Any suggestions
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 months ago.
The problem is actually the fuel pump in the fuel tank. It is an electrical motor and once it gets hot, it cannot pump fuel. It will run fine till you turn the engine off. Then it will not restart till the pump motor ha cooled down. Replace the fuel pump and also the fuel pump relay in the fuse box. When the pump does this, it draws excess current and heats the fuel pump relay up and burns it.