Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care

1994 ford. Ranger brake lights not working and have verified

Customer Question

1994 ford. Ranger brake lights not working and have verified that I have voltage all. The way to the light. Turn and running lights do work
JA: Working brake lights are so important for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Brake switch checked good along with ground to tail lights and getting 12.5 volts once brake pedal is pushed
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Voltage checks through the. Harness and ground checks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Not that I am aware of other than its true for all three brake lights
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 5 months ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you
Am I reading correctly that you have battery voltage at all three brake lights when you depress the brake pedal, but none of them illuminate?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We checked voltage at driver side tail brake light, did not check other two since none of them work. Did jump light socket and light in socket lights up, just not with brake pedal voltage
So there is 12 volts and ground at the socket, but the bulb won't come on...what did you jump it with?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Used 12 volts from running lights
Good idea...ok so the next step I think would be to measure the amperage of the voltage coming from the brake light switch. the only way that there can be voltage and ground but not illuminate the bulb is if there is not enough amperage getting through the wire to illuminate the bulb. Have you tried replacing the brake light switch even though it tests ok?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No not yet but thinking along the same line. Now it's raining so I won't be able to continue and will pick up a new switch tomorrow and give it a try
Great, it should be relatively inexpensive and easy to change. I would expect that your problem is the switch because it is affecting all of the lights at once and other than the fuse and relay, that is the only component that is universal to all three lights. Good luck!
Hey bud, it's Josh checking in to see if you have made any progress?
Hey buddy...have you made any progress?