Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

I have a 2001 ford escape. I locked the door with the button

Customer Question

I have a 2001 ford escape. I locked the door with the button on the door and unlocked the door with the key fob. now the anti theft system is on and the fob wont shut if off so the car won't start. what do i do?
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes i am hoping to fix it myself
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried locking the door with the lock on the door and unlocking with the key, locking and unlocking with the fob
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: I even disconnected the battery to see if it would reset anything. it was running fine before i locked the door
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  chrlsman replied 6 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** am one of the techs here.
Expert:  chrlsman replied 6 months ago.
If the alarm is factory, then simply putting the key into the ignition and starting the car should turn it off.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the alarm is factory and simply putting the key in the ignition won't start the car. the alarm has to be shut off in order for the car to start. I want to know how to turn off the alarm first so i can get the car started.
Expert:  chrlsman replied 6 months ago.
I will re-open the question for another tech. Sit tight.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, using the remote lock and then unlock the door, this should turn of the alarm and reset the security.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have tried that a dozen times or more and it won't shut the alarm off. that is why i am asking for help because the usual way is not working.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 months ago.
Is this just an alarm system or also a remote start system?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what is a remote start system? I know that as long as the anti theft system is activated the car will not start. also, the key fob is suppose to deactivate the anti theft system and it won't work.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 months ago.
I meant, does the remote have a function to start the vehicle from outside?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no, the remote does not have that function.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 months ago.
Do all the lock and unlock functions of the remote work properly and does the door unlock from the door buttons?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yes, all of that works just fine. I would like to thank you for all of your help. The car is now started and working fine the alarm had to be shut off with a diagnostic computer.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 months ago.
you are welcome, So glad you got it running.