Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

2005 f450 super duty replaced turbo and did an egr delete

Customer Question

2005 f450 super duty replaced turbo and did an egr delete only getting 10lbs of boost max cant get more then 10 lbs
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2005 f450 super duty new turbo and egr delete cant get more then 10 lbs of boost
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: new turbo and egr delete ficm is getting 48 volts
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today. I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made. We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence! Have you checked the exhaust back pressure sensor? Are the vanes operating properly on the new turbo? Any codes due to the delete causing the turbo to not allow the pressure to build up?__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back. Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,they are not the site feedback. Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer! Jeremy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
cleaned ebp, code is a p0046 have checked wiring for vgt seems to be ok also tried 2 different vgt's
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
Were you getting that code prior to the turbo replacement? If not, they may have sold you one with a bad solenoid on it. Check to see if there are any chafed/worn wires around the VGT solenoid. See that you are getting the 5 vref and ground on the solenoid plug as well. There is a short to ground or chafed wire in the circuit. Sometimes you have to chase it all the way to the PCM to find it. It could be rubbing through along one of the bolts on the harness or melted near the turbo.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
have tested it for power and ground ,visually inspected harness as far as I could reach, don't know if code was there before hand,is there a way to test ebp?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
I test it with the Ford program and the IDS tool connector. Otherwise, all you can do is monitor the voltage change on the EBP. They are fairly cheap sensors and sometimes not worth the hassle to try and pin into it and test it that way. If you have a scan tool, you can see the live data from it and it should be at 0 with the key on, engine off, then climb up to 3 to 4 psi at idle, then go up from there. If that reading isn;t there or it is lower, it is usually bad.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
On the delete, was a reprogram done? The engine may still be looking for the pressure from the EGR and when it doesn;t see it, it could be putting you into limp mode on the turbo.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
EPB SENSOR MADE NO CHANGE
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
truck was doing the same thing before the delete and turbo
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
Usually when it does it before the delete, the EGR is sticking about half way causing it. Was the truck reprogrammed after the delete? How was the delete done?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
wasn't reprogrammed afer the delete. egr block off plate with the up pipe and the cooler was removed
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
guess my question is does this truck need a tuner to make the boost considering we've done the egr delete
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
Yes. It needs a tuner or reprogram for without it, it won;t run right becaue the truck is trying to still read the EGR. That could be the issue at this moment that the truck is needing the EGR response taht it isn;t getting and it isn;t bossting up. Usually with delete kits, they have a tuner or reprogram package that comes with them.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 6 months ago.
I see you viewed this and this is still showing as an open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating. Were you not pleased with my service to you or is there a rating issue? Please let me know if you still need assistance with this, if there is a rating issue, and/or you need more time to respond. I like to make sure all my customers are satisfied since you did pay a deposit for me to assist you, whether I’m paid by a positive rating feedback or not. We can continue where we left off or start over if needed. Also, if you need diagrams, instructions, etc please don’t hesitate to ask.