Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

6.4 2008 ran out of gas. put 3 gallons in and it started for

Customer Question

6.4 2008 ran out of gas. put 3 gallons in and it started for 15 seconds and died again. do I need moor fuel or is there a safety shutoff somewhere?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: gauge said I had 33 miles to go and was 1/2 mile from station when it died at a red light
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: putting diesel fuel in
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: just put gearboxZ fuel management chip in a month ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. There is a very good chance this out of fuel event has done damage to the fuel pump and or injector pump. Can you cycle the switch from off to run for 5 seconds, the do this again 5 times. Then try to restart. If it still fails do you have the ability to check the fuel pressure and the high pressure pump desired and actual pressure? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I checked the upper fuel filter and there's plenty of gas. Something I did out of desperation was: on the passenger side of dash there is a fuel icon on a panel- I removed panel and pushed rubber button.....
Were you able to try and do all the things I mentioned?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm in the middle of an intersection at midnight! I did what I explained. I think there is plenty of fuel primed. what about the inertia switch I pushed ? did that effect anything?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
can it be reset?
As long as you were not in an impact and the inertia switch button was not up, then it will have no bearing on this concern. There is little you can do stranded on the road side to diagnose this model engine without the appropriate tools. If the fuel was low and in fact what caused the engine to stall. Then most likely the high pressure fuel pump has failed from no fuel to cool and lubricate it.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris