Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Pearl, I have play in my steering wheel after replacing

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have play in my steering wheel after replacing almost all the parts on my front end.
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I've had play in the steering since I bought the pickup, due to hitting a nasty rut this last winter I had to replace several parts on the front end. The wheel bearings, tie rods, shocks and steering box are all new but I still have play in the wheel. Tires are good and it doesn't wander when I'm going down the highway.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I have all the tools to do the work and its going in for an alignment next week. I'm just running out of ideas what could be causing my issue. My only thoughts were the pitman arm or possibly an issue in my steering column.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've taken the weight off the front end and tried to diagnose where the play is coming from but nothing seems loose
when I turn the steering wheel side to side
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. If the pitman arm was not replaced this is a very common component that will cause play like this in the steering column itself.I would replace it next as usually the play will not be in the steering column itself.With all of the components you have replaced and no wandering this does sound like the pitman arm is the cause. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete