James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

2006 Ford Taurus was missing, jerking, losing power. Ran the

Customer Question

2006 Ford Taurus was missing, jerking, losing power. Ran the codes at AutoZone and it said cylinder 2 was not firing and cat converter failed. My husband changed spark plug #2 which was fouled. Did a bit better, and then started all same symptoms. The check engine light did go off for a time after changing the spark plug, so I wonder if the cat convertor failure was a false reading. Drove fast on a freeway and check engine light came back on and has been on.
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, but I don't want to get a catalytic convertor if that is not the real problem.
JA: OK! The Ford Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right.
Customer: Thanks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: Before changing the spark plug, changed the PVC something or other. My husband replaced all spark plugs, wires, and thing the wires go into about a year ago. It has 190,000 miles on it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
Hello, do you happen to know what code number was set for the converter?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, I no longer have the print-outs for that.
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
The fouled spark plug could have cause the convertor code from being fouled. If that code doesn't come back I would think the misfire was the reasoning for the code.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But it is still doing it! That doesn't answer the problem.
Expert:  James replied 5 months ago.
You said the check engine light went out. I thought that meant the misfire was gone. If the check engine light is back on you need to retest for codes and see what codes are back on. If I know what the codes are I can be more specific with assisting you.