john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

1997 f150 4.2 v6 .p1538 code JA: Sometimes things that you

Customer Question

1997 f150 4.2 v6 .p1538 code
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Intake control valve stuck open
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Clear the codes
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Ok
JA: What else should I tell the Ford Mechanic?
Customer: That's all the info I have
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 7 months ago.
The most common cause of a P1538 on this engine is an intake manifold runner control that is stuck open. Your engine has a variable induction system; that is it has a 2 plane intake manifold with a control that opens the second side of the intake at higher speeds. If you look at the lower intake manifold, you should be able to see teh control linkage that opens the secondary butterfly valves in the intake. note: be careful when working around this linkage as the butterflies are spring actuated and can bite you if you are not careful! What happens to make this runner control stick open is that carbon sdeposits build up inside the lower intake manifold passages, causing the butterflies to hang up. you may be able to free the control by using a screwdriver or other tool to reach down and rgently pry on the linkage a little. However, the deposits will remain so the problem will likely recur. The permanent fix is to remove the intake manifold and clean away the deposits using a cleaning solvent