Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Focus: 2005 Ford Focus. Battery discharge light comes on after

Customer Question

2005 Ford Focus. Battery discharge light comes on after the car gets warmed up, usually 2-3 miles. Then it goes out and the dome light comes on for a second or two, goes out and the cluster lights go on and off. The idle appears to drop ever so slightly as well. The alternator output stays at 14.1 and the battery is new. When cool the next day the same sequence happens again. The battery terminals have been cleaned ant look good.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 months ago.
I understand the battery terminals were checked and the alternator connections were checked. But what I have seen frequently on the Focus is a problem with the wiring harness that goes to the starter and the alternator and there is a ground cable part of the harness. Inspect that harness well. I have seen the wires chaff together. You may need to remove the tape from around the harness. And I have seen the wires chaff on the transmission.