A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2009 f-150 no signal lights or brake lights on one side JA:

Customer Question

2009 f-150 no signal lights or brake lights on one side
JA: Working brake lights are so important for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I've checked the bulbs, fuse and bulb sockets and bulb socket wiring harness....
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It would be nice
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Both tail lights don't work and it looks like the license plate bulb assembly was ripped out
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 7 months ago.
Can you clarify the problem you are having with your 2009 F150?First you stated..."2009 f-150 no signal lights or brake lights on one side"Then you stated..."Both tail lights don't work and it looks like the license plate bulb assembly was ripped out "
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So initially I had no tailights in the rear and a couple weeks ago my right side brake light and signal light quit working all at the same time
Ok. So right now the left side is working properly?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Maybe I'm not using the right terminology.....by tailights I mean the lights that come on at night not all the lights
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But yes the left side is working except the lights that turn on at night
Ok, let me help you help me.The lights that come on at night when you turn the headlights on are called the parking lights.These lights are front and rear and on the left and right sides of the vehicle.The brake lights are the rear lights that come on when you step on the brakes.The turn signals are the lights on the left and right that flash when you are signaling for a turn.This explanation is just so we are understanding each other and are working on the proper light problem. Ok, so do not take offence of it please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No offence taken so to start with the parking lights weren't coming on on either side(I've been waiting for a mechanic to work on them for awhile). Just recently the right side brake light and signal lights stopped working
If you swap the taillight bulb sockets left to right, is the right still out?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yupp I swapped the bulbs,bulb sockets and wiring harness from left to right and it's still the same problem
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've also swapped relays and checked the fuses
Ok. Do you have a flare side or style side bed on the truck?Or, how many bulbs does you truck have in the right rear tail light?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by flare or style side.....but there are two bulbs in each tailight and two filaments in each bulb
Ok. No problem. The step side bed Ford now calls the flare side and the flat sided bed Ford calls the style side. But since you have 2 lights in each taillight, we are on the same page.Do you have a meter to test light to do a few quick electrical tests?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do have one but I'm not sure if it's working properly....what kind of voltage reading should I get and what tests do u want me to do?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a multimeter
On the right rear tail light, turn the parking lights on and check for power on the PURPLE/WHITE striped wire and then check for power on the PURPLE/ORANGE striped wire when you have the brake pedal pressed down.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
0 volts at both
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Am I better off getting a test light?
The parking light circuit is complete including left and right lights, see below. The splice is in the middle of the tailgate under the bed by the bumper for the parking lights.They also share a ground for the left and right tail lights.