Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master

Mustang GT: is this live? I am working on getting my

Customer Question

Hi is this live?
I am working on getting my 87 GT running. It sat more than drove, but when it did drive, it was fine. Occasionally it would go through phases of stalling and jumping after it was warm. This would persist but would also go away after a few days or weeks.
Recently it has returned and does not abate.
After starting, it will run fine for a few minutes. If I drive away or idle, I get a few minutes of good running.
Then it chugs, splutters, and dies. Restarts go immediately into heavy chugging, spluttering, and it will not light. Many tries, and maybe a few will get going and almost run normal, but the choking returns.
Overnight or long cooling returns it to the previous state of a good start for a few minutes.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 5 months ago.
Greetings, do you have a timing light? did you check the timing? is it bouncing around? did you check the MAP hose? Is the IAC original?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Timing light sounds like my next purchase. Not familiar with component names, but know them by location so will need location and description of MAP hose. If the TFI and SPOUT did not fix me, I was heading in the direction of the EGR+solenoid. Today I had actually planned on pulling off the throttle body and cleaning the IAC. The IAC is original.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Found the MAP. It is original. Harness looks OK. Hose is old and feels like a wad of bubble gum you accidentaly touch under the table of an road-side diner. Going to experiment on plugging the MAP hose for a start.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tried starting with MAP hose plugged (vacuum cap) and MAP input plugged with a cap. Got a slightly better chug chug, but for the most part the splutter, backfire, glug, glug, splutter running persists.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 5 months ago.
I would suggest cleaning the AIC and the looking at the EGR. With the miles you have you could have a loose timing chain. The cam sprocket will wear and the chain stretch. this would be evident when looking at the timing bounce or by turning the crank and watching the distributor rotor(engine off). try to estimate how many degrees the crank turns before the cam moves. 3-5 is good , 10 or more and the chain is toast.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 5 months ago.
we could check for a vacuum leak too. Egr could leak internal. I like to use a carb/throttle cleaner and spray around suspected areas and see if the idle changes.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 5 months ago.
you might even have jumped time. I have seen then on high mileage vehicles.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Vacuum could be leaking anywhere. Old hoses and when I touched the thermactor hoses that lead back to manifold, they just snapped in half.I'll go ahead and clean up the tb and AIC. Will use the carb cleaner to check for leaks if the engine will stay running.Thanks for the leads.Timing chain work sounds intense. I'm just a garage monkey with a few tools and no skill. I was hoping to knock this out with a vacuum hose or plug tune up. I'll investigate the timing chain level of effort.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 5 months ago.
great, keep me posted.