A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

I have a 2000 mustang & changed the battery because it hasn't

Customer Question

I have a 2000 mustang & changed the battery because it hasn't been driven in a couple of months. It's in ment condition in carport. We replaced the battery with a new one. The car is showing a flashing red theft light & the car won't start. Just cranks but won't start
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I went through the steps to program my keys & they operate the doors etc
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 5 months ago.
How many keys do you have for the vehicle?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We tried unhooking the battery for a few minutes. I called our local Ford dealership & all there mechanics were gone for the day. They had me try pushing the alarm (red botton) on key fob & putting key in & it started & ran for less than a minute. theft started flashing again & wouldn't start.
We have seen this happen a few times. When a battery gets replaced or the vehicle sits for several months, the PATS system will loose memory of the keys and they will have to be reprogramed to the vehicle. Any local mobile locksmith can do this for you. You will need a scan tool that can do this, it is not a DYI.