Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

My 2000 ford expedition AC was worked on last year . Went in

Customer Question

my 2000 ford expedition AC was worked on last year . Went in for a leak in the hose , got a new condensor fan and hose assembly . Worked for a week or so . Now ac dont work in front but blows cold , but not ice cold in the back . i need help .
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
HI,Ok, I need to know if you are going to try to diagnose yourself, if you are, do you have a full set of ac manifold gages to check the pressures
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't i bought i can with a gauge on it and it read full and went to red after a min or two which indicated mechanic problems with the ac .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i spent 1200 on it last year . Guy i took it to said he was not messing with it anymore .
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
HI,Ok, this really does require a full set of gages that give actual pressure readings. Only getting the low side pressure reading and not the high pressure side reading is akin to only getting one of the 2 blood pressure readings. You only know part of the story and have to fill in the rest by at best, ***** ***** is most likely a restriction in the system, either at the front or rear expansion valve/orifice tube, but could be in the condensor as well. This why we need both readings. Call down to your local Advanced Auto Parts, Autozone or O-Reillys and see if the have the full set of gages in their tool loaner program. If they do, I can walk you thru this. But without knowing the pressures, I can only give you the most likely causes
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll call and see and back back to you!
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
HI, sounds good. I am here until about 9pm MST and here everyday(with exception of this Sunday- Mothers Day)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No they don't
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
Ok, Not an exact science, but if you have someone that can sit in the cab and monitor the air coming out of the front dash vents and have a garden hose, there is something we can try
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can buy one and then return it when i done .
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
HI, That would be better if you can do that and then we can get the actual pressures
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What needs done when i get the gauges then .?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
HI,Ok, the gages have a low side and high side line that the ends pop onto the service ports. The low side service port is on the accumulator. This is a round cylinder on the passenger side of the engine compartment near the firewall. The high side service port is on the high pressure metal ac line running along the right side inner fender in engine compartment(this will be the smaller diameter line) - see attachment You cannot mix them up as the service ports are different diameters and hoses only attach one way. Once you have them on, crank engine and turn the ac on the front only. Write down the numbers for the low side and high side that the gage needles stay on. Then turn on the rear ac only and do the same. Then turn on both units and record the low and high side numbers. If you see either needle fluctuating wildly, record that as well Post all these numbers for me and then I can tell you where the issue lies
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
great ill let you know ! thanks again for your help ,.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
HI,sounds good and will be here when you are able to post the numbers
Expert:  Eric replied 5 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks