Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2004 ford freestyle. I have a problem overheating over

Customer Question

2004 ford freestyle. I have a problem overheating over 55mph. The cooling system is full and if I let it run at 2,000rpm I don't see any circulation through the reservoir and none of the hoses coming out of the reservoir get hot. The fans run almost constant after it gets warm. I do not bubble or loose any coolant.
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist have you replaced the thermostat??? what have you done so far?? did the van overheat at any time??? Roy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I haven't done anything yet. The coolant temp with a infrared handheld unit is 185 degrees on both sides of the thermostat housing. The radiator isn't warmer then 100 degrees anywhere I check it and the reservoir or either line coming out of it are only 85 degrees.
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.
ok, has it overheated at any time??
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
only on the highway over 65mph
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.
ok, so it has overheated. the first thing that comes to mind is circulation. it is not happening at 65 and up. that could be from a couple of things. one is the thermostat and the other is a clogged radiator. the water pump may be an issue as well. in the past, ford had issues with the impellers on there water pumps. my concern is that if it overheated, then there may also be head gasket damage from the overheat. I would start by getting a chemical kit from a parts store that will test for hydrocarbons in the cooling system. once that is checked then we have a direction. head gasket damage is a result of overheating, not the cause of overheating. Roy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I never let it get that hot once I saw the guage move up I shut it down
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.
ok, I would still check it. you have symptoms of this in your post. the check is easy roy
Expert:  roy replied 5 months ago.
how are you making out