Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Starts runs -10 seconds dies it will not fire with continued

Customer Question

starts runs for 5 -10 seconds dies it will not fire with continued cranking but will fire after waiting overnight . It seemed to me that it might be the ignition system because it kept happening while it was damp out. Replaced plugs , spark, ignition coil with the same results. I did have the fuel filter changed less than 500 miles ago. Wonder if its the fuel pump car gradually deteriorated over 1 month period have starting issues but usually ran after cranking a few times but only 5-10 seconds at a time know. The car is a 2002 ford focus
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: 30 Miles to the ford dealer car wont run long enough to tow it there so I'll do it myself
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 5 months ago.
Hello thanks for using JustAnswer!I am sorry to hear about your concern, driveability problems can be difficult to diagnose. I specialize in diagnostics, and will be asking you a series of questions to give you the best possible help that i can. What engine does your Focus have so i can look up more information about your vehicle. DOHC or SOHC? Thanks