Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Fuel pump turns on and stops but when started the fuel pump

Customer Question

Fuel pump turns on and stops but when started the fuel pump continues to run flooding the engin
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: replaced control relay, cleaned returned lines problem gas pump turns on after running
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: can't get it looked at for two more weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: I really don't know I had to replace the engine and Have the same issue as the old one. Flooding
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question

When you say the fuel pump stays running dose that mean it runs anytime the key is in the on position?

Can you tell me what you working on, year , make model and engine size please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1989 f150 302, yes
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for that, Can you please explain the type of problem you are having?

Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Dose the fuel pump cycle on as it should and suht off till the engine starts?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

So the pump cycles as it should but the engine is being flooded out once its running?