cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to fix all makes and models

Ford taurus: Hey, my 2000 Ford Taurus won't start when I turn

Customer Question

Hey, my 2000 Ford Taurus won't start when I turn the key it makes one click and that's all I don't even hearthe starter hear a few relays but that's it, of course my battery is bad now but it wasn't before and I believe this thing is chewing through batteries because it has a short. How do I know it has a short us because when at night I turn the dome lights on and I casee them fliker and get brighterer sameame thing with the headlights and taillights
Category: Ford
Expert:  cardoctor74 replied 5 months ago.
Ok this is all due to the voltage regulator in the alternator failing has this been checked ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, I have a voltmeter, how do I do it myself? Then is my starter just dead now then? Can I manually jump the starter, because the car runs and stays running...once started
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Yes you can try that but then you will need to take a reading off the battery with all loads on lights, a/c interior fan etc and see what the reading is if its low then you know the alternator is your cause . From experience I have seen these alternators fail alot. These would be the next steps.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated. Im here if you need any further assistance down the road .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The thing is there is no blower motor anymore it went out because there was water leaking into the air box I assume because it would rip through into the interior of the floors when it was raining and do you mean I have to have the car on because I can't start it
.Ok to be sure you have no blower motor installed and there has been alot of water in the interior of this vehicle? And yes the vehicle needs to be running to test the charging system you can always jump the battery to start the vehicle /
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Even with a jump it won't start
Ok that measures the battery is totally dead do you have a new battery or one you can swap from another vehicle this is the only way we can test the alternator but I'm going to be honest that's most likely going to be your issue. Hoped this helped. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated. I'm here if you need anything else.