Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000

I have a 02 lincon navigator v8 4x4. Check engine light

Customer Question

Hi i have a 02 lincon navigator v8 4x4. Check engine light on code p1400 need help to make it pass deq
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Have you looked at or replaced the DPFE EGR sensor yet? sometimes the plastic melts, or you see the hoses themselves have holes in them. Do you know what I am referring to? Let us know, Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So this is for the egr? Is there a way to test it?
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
Yes, I'm pulling the wiring diagram and fault tracing instructions now. Give me just afew minutes. thank you.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
Alright to test it, what you want to do first, is visually look at the hoses, and the sensor for signs of melting or cracking. Check the hoses for any splits or leaks in them. If they look good, you'll need a volt meter to check the reference voltage and signal voltage. Step 1) Check the operation of the DPFE with the engine off, key in the run position. Using a digital voltmeter, check for voltage on the brown/light green wire. Look for a reading between .45 and 1.1 volts. If your reading is outside that range, you have one more voltage check to perform before replacing the sensor. Check the voltage on the brown/white wire. It should read 5 volts. If it doesn’t, the sensor isn’t getting power from the computer. Then it’s a whole new ballgame. If you have 5 volts, and the reading from the brown/light green wire is outside the range, replace the DPFE. After replacement, perform the voltage check again to eliminate the possibility that the EGR valve is not seating properly.Step 2) Leave your meter connected and start the engine. The voltage SHOULD NOT CHANGE! That’s because there should be no EGR flow at idle. If the DPFE voltage changes, either the EGR pintle isn’t seating properly and it’s allowing exhaust flow past the seat, or the DPFE is bad.Step 3) Remove the EGR valve and check the condition of the pintle, pintle seat, and the EGR passages. They will be coated with black soot. But the passages should not be clogged and the pintle should move off its seat with the application of vacuum. Cleanthe pintle, pintle seat, and passages with carb or throttle body cleaner.It's likely either the sensor itself or the hoses have a crack or hole in them. This is the sensor you want to look at , driver side front of the engine. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That pic is for a diferent model!! Cause i dont see it on this truck
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
My mistake, yours is under that cover on top of the engine on 02 Navigator and Expedition. Check the hoses, and make sure the sensors not melted anywhere. Here is the PDF for it.