Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

E450 Ford: I have a 2009 E450....Put new Ford alternator on

Customer Question

I have a 2009 E450....Put new Ford alternator on It.......Put new battery on It......Battery Light Keeps coming on ....sometimes while i back out it come on and stay on never goes off...Until I cut off and crank it back on it will go off and stay off.....Then sometimes after riding a bit it will come one and stay on and off etc.....checked fuses ran computer test on it ....does this model have a fuse link somewhere or ....sounds to me a relay that is going off and on just do not know which fuse is blowed I has a v10 gas engine on it.....Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. With the battery light on, have you checked to see what the battery voltage is with the engine running?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
with light off 14.2-3-5
Thanks, ***** ***** a minute.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i drove at night etc...battery never goes down or anything lights are bright and all never any problem really just that light is on ......Thanks jn
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
computer test had no codes issues lingering out there address
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just sounds like a relay coming and going or fuse link but do not know where or which one it is.....for alternator or charging
Here is a link to the Ford diag steps when you have a battery light on while running and the battery voltage is not in the range 13-15 volts. is the wire diagram mentioned a relay concern, there is not a relay in this circuit. I believe your going to find a poor wire connection or the PCM faulty in this case. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what is PCM
Powertrain control module. It is the vehicles main computer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
so Chris What is your gut fix on this ...a new PCM Thanks jn
A gut fix would be just a guess. I try to never guess because they are often wrong giving techs a bad name. That is why I sent the wire diagram and diag steps so you could find the cause. If I had to guess it would be a poor connection at the alternator causing resistance in the communication wires to the PCM or a faulty PCM.
Do you need more assistance?
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris