HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

F350: Moose, I have a 2011 F350 with SYNC navigation and

Customer Question

Hi Moose,
I have a 2011 F350 with SYNC navigation and the rearview camera. I would like to know if there is a way to "force" the camera on when not in reverse with an added switch (like one of the upfitter switches). I have gone through the service manual and wiring diagrams and can only find reference to three wires between the audio control module and the camera (hot, ground and shield). I do not find any interconnection to the reverse lamp system. I am wondering if putting 12 volts on the hot lead (with a protective diode to prevent backfeed to the audio module) might make this work. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Bob
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.
Hello, no its not meant to be forced on. The Rear camera is signaled on by the Powertrain Control Module signal cross communicating with other modules in the computer network. There are options on different models to toggle how the camera works/displays but not on all the time.