Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

Vehicle will not turn over security light flashes fast don't

Customer Question

vehicle will not turn over security light flashes fast don't have 2 keys to reset vehicle how do i disable security seystem
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it is someone elses vehicle car wont turn over security light just flashes ford told them they need 2 keys to reboot ecu
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: talking to you
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: nothing that i know of just need to know how to disable or reset alarm with one key
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Good morning,What year and model is your ford?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2004 ford explorer xlt v6
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
There is really no easy way to disable the PATS system on that car. If you have a Ford IDS scan tool or an automotive locksmith scan tool you could re-program the keys but as far as bypassing it in order to get it to start it's nearly impossible.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how about disconnecting the battery for 48 hrs
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
That would reset the PATS system, but it wouldn't disable it. Sometimes if the transponder (the chip in the key) or the transducer (the receiver in the dash) is still kind of working it might give you one more start after the reset, but it doesn't work every time.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thank you i believe the pats system is engaged because they changed the battery i think everything else is good
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Oh yeah changing the battery will sometimes freak out the PATS system. We have to reprogram them here in my fleet fairly often.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yes but you need two keys to do that if you don't have a computer to do it i was just asking because someone told me if you disconnected battery for 48 hours will it reset itself without reprgraming
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
You would need the computer anyway even if you have two keys. What we see is the computer will lose programming on all of the keys for no reason at all.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no you can reset it with 2keys without a computer trust me i would have already done that but customer only has one key
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
If the pats is just locked out you can reset it, but you can't relearn keys that way.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks for your help much appreciated
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Please let me know if you need help in the future.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks i will
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
This question will remain open until a rating is received so feel free to ask any additional questions you may have.