Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford Expedition: 02 Expedition 5.4 changed solenoid mounted

Customer Question

02 Expedition 5.4 changed solenoid mounted on fire wall, and starter solenoid and alternator, truck Will start and if I shut off truck nothing except the noise of solenoid mounted to fire wall engaging and nothing more, upon testing the starter solenoid is fried along with the alternator (brand new) I've checked and double checked conections..... this is my 7th starter and 3rd alternator.... upon last failure I observed the remote wire to solenoid was completely burnt out the insulation was melted and even the post on starter solenoid was melted..... what are the possible issues here? I'm disabled so physical work has taken toll, and very limited funds so hiring a mechanic is out of the question please help!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.
Hello, when the truck runs does the starter stay engaged? Where are you getting the altenator and starters from? Is the altenator overcharging? The starter cranks over normally once then wont start again or only when the engine gets hot? Have you inspected all grounds and connections for being tight?