Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2002 Ford Excursion 4x4 7.3 diesel truck with 95k

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford Excursion 4x4 7.3 diesel truck with 95k miles and have a few questions.
1 - In the morning when I drive the truck for a while and park it for 10-30 minutes and try to start it up again it wont crack. I have to put it in Neutral to start the truck. What is wrong and how to fix?
2 - This morning P0676 code came up. I see its for cylinder 6 glow plug circuit but what exactly is it and how to fix? I cleared the code and will see if it comes back tomorrow morning. Can I still drive like this with the code for a while?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
1.If the engine will restart in neutral every time but not in park this usually indicates an internal electrical fault with the transmission position sensor/neutral safety switch.I have seen these fail in the past before needing replaced for this issue here.The signals from this sensor/switch need checked usually with a compatible scan tool that can read the data from the sensors to see if it needs replaced.2.The code setting here is to let you know an issue was detected with cylinder 6 glow plug or wiring to the #6 glow plug.In most all cases this is the #6 glow plug itself needing replaced as I have had to replace before in the past.Especially since no other glow plug codes are setting I suspect the #6 glow plug does need replaced.You can drive it like this as the cylinder will warm up and operate properly but if it starts to run rough then I would have this repaired as soon as you can.I do recommend though overall to repair it as soon as you can. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete