Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a rear differential grinding noise, can it be just

Customer Question

I have a rear differential grinding noise, can it be just low on fluid, on ace added will the grinding stop?
02 Explorer
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. It is very possible this is just a low fluid issue here.If you have not checked the fluid level this needs done and if found low or empty the leak needs located and repaired and the fluid refilled to see if this corrects this fault.If the fluid is found very low or empty there is a good chance gears and bearings are damaged in the differential and it would need taken apart for inspection and repair.If the fluid is found to be o.k. I have seen internal bearing failure in the differential before needing replaced as well as ring or pinion gear failure/damage needing replaced.The differential would need inspected further internally to locate the source of the fault then from there repaired to correct this issue. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** *****'m check my fluids levels and see if it's low. If not low you saying I need a new differential
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
If it is not low then most likely there is an internal fault with an internal differential bearing or gear issue and the differential would either need removed and repaired or removed and replaced. Your welcome. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete