Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

The whole ignition was broken on the ford ranger cuz the

Customer Question

Hi , the whole ignition was broken on the ford ranger cuz the chip key was broken. Is there a way to start this truck without taking it to the dealer.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Well the guy I bought this truck from used a vise to break the whole ignition off and the key is chipped now there is no way of starting the truck without taking the truck to a dealer and I don't want to take there.to far for a tow truck
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing really
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: don't really know what to do
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,Ok, I need to know the year of your Ranger and then the last 8 of the vin number to pull the schematics to see if there is a workaround