Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Expedition: 2000 Expedition V8 4x4 started stalling intermittently

Customer Question

2000 Expedition V8 4x4 started stalling intermittently when shifting into reverse and drive. Changed plugs, IAC And cleaned throttle body.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Greg replied 7 months ago.
Is the check engine light ON when the engine is running .Greg
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It haves more power after cleaning throttle body and tries to recover when it stalls
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 7 months ago.
Hi there.The EGR system could be intermittently malfunctioning. Here is how to diagnose this issue:EGR ValveEnsure all vacuum hoses are correctly routed and securely attached. Replace any crimped or broken hoses. Ensure there is less than one in. Hg vacuum to EGR valve at idle with engine at normal operating temperature.Install tachometer. Disconnect Idle Air Control (IAC) wiring harness connector. Remove and plug vacuum hose at EGR valve. Start engine. Idle in Neutral. Note idle speed. Using hand vacuum pump, slowly apply 5-10 in. Hg vacuum to EGR valve. When vacuum is fully applied, engine should do one or more of the following:Engine should stall.Idle speed should drop more than 100 RPM.Idle speed should return to normal when vacuum is released.Service or replace EGR valve if engine does not stall or idle speed does not respond as specified. Reconnect IAC harness connector. Unplug and reconnect vacuum hose at EGR valve.EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) SolenoidTurn ignition off. Disconnect EVR solenoid wiring harness connector. Measure resistance between EVR solenoid terminals. If resistance is not 26-40 ohms, replace EVR solenoid.Please let me know if further assistance is needed. If not, kindly accept and rate my answer now.Best Regards.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for the delay, I thought I fixed it. I checked for vacuum leaks and used SeaFoam in the three locations it said. I had it running beautifully for a day. My son took it to work and was slowing down for red light and he had no acceleration. He coasted to a empty lot and every gear acted like it was in neutral. I called tow truck and when they picked it up this morning it drove fine on to the truck. It was making a whining noise last night when revd up. It's at a Ford dealership now but they can't look at it until tomorrow; what's your thoughts?
Do you mean it now has a transmission issue?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't know, it acted like it was in neutral no matter what gear. This morning it was fine
Well, if the transmission won't engage when shifted to any forward or reverse gears, then there's definitely a problem with it. Isn't Ford checking this for you?