HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

My f-150 sunroof won't go to the tilt position nor will it

Customer Question

my f-150 sunroof won't go to the tilt position nor will it close all the way
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the sunn roof doesn't fully close and also will not go to the tilt up position
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried opening to the comfort stop then to full open then to close but it doesn't fully close nor does it go to tilt open position
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.
Hello, what year is the F150 and is this a factory installed sunroof?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2005 and yes
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.
Ok they typically have issues with the sunroof track cables binding in the sunroof track over time, will the sunroof open fully when it slides back and not close completely? Does the sunroof track look clean or is there a lot of dust/dirt buildup?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes it seems to go to full open but it does not fully close. i can inspect the track in daylight tomorrow
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
also it won't tilt up
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.
Ok it could be an issue with the track, which is the most common problem. Make sure it is clean. Otherwise you would have to drop the whole headliner to remove the sunroof motor and make sure you can push the glass completely closed. Go through the motions, if not, then I would suspect the sunroof track and cable assembly would have to be replaced which is big bucks. But before you tear it apart, try this initialization process if the track is clean and no obstructions:Roof Opening Panel Motor InitializationWARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.NOTE: A new roof opening panel motor will only open and must be initialized.NOTE: The roof opening panel motor initialization procedure must be done when repairs are carried out on any part of the roof opening panel system, including: any time the roof opening panel motor has been removed from the roof opening panel assembly, a new roof opening panel motor has been installed or when a new roof opening panel assembly has been installed.Turn the ignition to the RUN position. For a new roof opening panel motor, skip to Step 3.NOTE: The roof opening panel glass will travel to the comfort STOP position first, which is approximately 50.8 mm (2 in) from the full open position. Press the open switch again to fully open the roof opening panel.For an existing roof opening panel motor, open the roof opening panel glass to the full OPEN position, then release the switch.For a new roof opening panel motor, press and hold the open switch until the roof opening panel glass moves to the full OPEN position, then continue to hold the open switch until the roof opening panel glass moves slightly rearward and then slightly forward to the stored OPEN position, then quickly release the switch.For an existing motor, press and hold the open switch (for approximately 10 seconds) until the roof opening panel glass moves past full OPEN, then to full OPEN near the rear of the roof opening panel assembly, then quickly release the switch.NOTE: After pressing and holding the open switch in this step, it will take approximately 3 seconds for the roof opening panel to begin close/tilt/close (initialization) movements.NOTE: If the switch is released before close/tilt/close (initialization) movements are complete, go back to Step 3.Press and hold the open switch until after the roof opening panel carries out close/tilt-up/close (initialization) movements.Release the open switch and test the system for normal operation by carrying out one-touch open to comfort stop, full open, close from full open to comfort stop, close from comfort stop to full close and tilt operation.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.
Hello, do you need more help with this concern?