AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Ford Mustang: I have a 1996 mustang cobra 4.6 4v. When I bought

Customer Question

I have a 1996 mustang cobra 4.6 4v. When I bought the car the check engine light was on and was told it was because the cats were removed. Like an idiot I didn't check. I ordered some mil eliminators only to find out there were some already on it. I reset the computer to see if maybe the light would go away. It did but came back on in a couple days and after I reset the computer the car ran horrible after it throw a code it drove normal again. So I was pretty confused so I went to a mechanic and he told me it was a intake manifold leak. So I took off intake and imrcs. The gaskets all looked ok but replaced them anyway. I did find the little o rings in the imrcs were all chewed up so I replaced those and did a good cleaning and put a little oil on the bearings. The imrcs turn much smoother and I put everything back together. The car ran horrible once again after hooking the battery back up but did not throw any codes. the next day the car ran awesome and did so for the whole weekend. Then I started it the next morning and engine light came on with imrc stuck open. I looked behind the motor and reved it up and could see the arms opening and closing. Next time I started the car it threw a egr insufficient flow code and the next start up a lean condition bank 1. This is all within 2 days. Very confused and don't even no where to start. Also the engine has 99000 miles on it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN and the code or codes stored in the computer? Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Vin# *****
P0171
P0401
P1518
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Right now they are coming up as pending faults but the cel is on.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for that information. Your first step would be to clear the codes and see which code comes back first. Once you know which code comes back first, then we diagnose/pinpoint the root cause.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did that twice the first one was imrc stuck open
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But the imrc and egr are new codes before was just the lean condition bank 1
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Ok, was the intake system smoked checked for leaks?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't think so he spayed carb cleaning and it was sucking air through the imrc rod. Right where the rod goes through the bearing. So I took it off and the little o rings were toast so I replaced them and put all new gaskets
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Ok, a lean code is either caused by a bad mass air flow sensor or an air or a vacuum leak. Smoke checking the intake system using a smoke machine needs to be done first before anything is replaced. Here is a picture of a smoke machine. CLICK HERE
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
If you would like, I can send some information over about the intake runner code.. But the intake system needs to be smoked to start with.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
I am glad I can help! It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could a faulty mass air sensor cause those other codes?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
No, only a lean code or a mass air flow sensor circuit code. It will not cause an EGR code or IMRC code.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.
Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance? Let me know!
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 7 months ago.