Matt C.
Matt C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Automotive Technician
64275627

Escape: 2004 Ford escape V6, The car acts like the exhaust

Customer Question

2004 Ford escape V6, The car acts like the exhaust system is plugged up. for the third time I have had the manifold worked on and the catalytic converter replaced two times. This is expensive!! Any suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt C. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I would like to see if I could assist you with this. Every time you have had the catalytic converter replaced the vehicle returns to running normally?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes for about six months. are there inherit problems with this engine?
Expert:  Matt C. replied 7 months ago.
There have been no common problems that I have come across for this problem. Give me a moment as I check for any service bulletins for any relating problems.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 7 months ago.
I am not seeing any service bulletins relating to what you are experiencing. You will have to find the underlying cause for the premature converter failure. Typically this is caused by poor running conditions such as a poor air/fuel mixture. Other common causes would be an internal oil leak or coolant leak that is being burned in the combustion chamber.
Expert:  Matt C. replied 7 months ago.
Have you noticed any smoke or "odd" odors coming from the exhaust?