Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

What does the trouble light on dash, shaped like a motor mean?

Customer Question

JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Engine occassionally surges and runs rough for a second or two... engine light then iillumknate... what is my problem?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: More than likely...
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: 253816 miles?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
Hello Wendell, that light is your check engine light. You have a code stored that likely has something to do with your running problem. It could be a sensor, or vacuum leak, or an engine actuator. Can you stop by a local auto parts store and get the codes scanned and write them down? If you can reply and list codes here, I can help much more knowing what codes are stored.