HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

Pearl. We have a 2012 Ford Focus hatchback with a sunroof.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. We have a 2012 Ford Focus hatchback with a sunroof. The past few times we have had hard rain, the passenger side floor is filled with water. FILLED. We just shop vacd an entire canister out of it. It doesn't appear to be coming from the sunroof, but the gasket running around the passenger door frame and behind the glove box are wet.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: not necessarily-we have been told that this could be a clogged sunroof drain. We just want a starting place so we are not wasting time and money with unnecessary diagnostics.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: we were rear-ended a year ago and had major body work done. The windshield was not replaced, but the hood and front panels were (as well as most of the rear) we took it back to the place that did the initial repair as the first time we noticed it my husband was driving in heavy rain and he thought it was coming in through the floor. This time, it was parked in our driveway, so definitely coming in through the roof/door/hood and not floor.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.
Hello, yes a sunroof drain is a common issue with rain buildup. with the sunroof open you will see the front drains.pour a small amunt of water into the drain channel and see if water drains out from the front a pillar area on both sides. if not using an air compressor and blow gun can be used to clean the drains. same proceedure with checking the rear drains, Otherwise use a garden hose or preferably a pressure washer with an assistant inside and monitor for water intrusion. A door can be out of alignment and not seal properly
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.
Hello, do you need more help with this concern?