Ironmike
Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master
11302663

F-150: I have a 2001 F-150 that I can't get the catalyst monitor

Customer Question

I have a 2001 F-150 that I can't get the catalyst monitor test to run. I have completed numerous drive cycles and still nothing.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

greetings,

Can you tell me how you ran the vehicle on the test drive to try and clear the monitors. Do you have a scanner that shows live data? why did you reset KAM or disconnect the battery ? I have seen monitors like the Catalyst not clear because of a trouble code ready to pop up.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

I had a vehicle that had a misfire for a long period of time. Customer finally fixed it and after a few test drives to set the monitors a p0420 set, catalyst below efficiency. The cat monitor may not be setting because the catalytic converter(bank 1 or 2) could be bad. If we look at live data, 02 sensors and cat monitors we would verify if the cats are working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I drove it in accordance with the Ford drive cycle requirements. I had a crankshaft sensor connector go bad that set a code, so I reset the PCM. I also have a bunch of pending codes that all point to the GEM. I have one on order. I also have Ford IDS with VCM II that I can monitor live data and O2 sensors seem alright to me, but I'm just amateur with IDS
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

ok, great. Pending codes can cause the monitors not to clear. Usually just power train codes. what are the codes? It took me a while to get the Ford drive cycle, had a old tech show me a route by the dealer and it worked great. I found keeping the MPH under 55(50-52) for the first 3-5 mile run Big.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

I start of down a road with some traffic, hit the a/c on and off. Hard acceleration and then get to the long mostly clear road. Nice and steady for 3-5 miles. Next some traffic on another road, 30-35 mph, a few lights for 3-5 miles. About the time I am back at the shop it they all clear(evap not all the time)

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

gotta take a ride quick, be back soon

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

gotta start the drive cycle engine cold and between 1/4 and 3/4 tank gas

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm running errands; get you that info when I get back. Also been driving said truck about 1 1/2 months since PCM reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached is a print out from IDS for the codes I have, plus a print-out Mode 6 Values.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

does the gas gauge work? B1202 fuel sender circuit open could be the code that is holding us back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gas gauge works fine. Seat belt warning light works fine as well. Speedometer works fine as well. That's why I ordered a new GEM because I think it is setting codes that there is nothing wrong with.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

let me check for any related bulletins.

sorry, I was looking at all the codes and forgot P0500 , that could be the holdup

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

found a TSB for this 01-21-13

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

TSB Main Page :: Year 2001 :: Model F-150 :: TSB 01-21-13

TSB
01-21-13

• DRIVEABILITY – DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) P0500, P1502 AND/OR U1039 CONTINENTAL MODELS ONLY – STICKING OR BINDING IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER – HIGH EFFORT WHEN TURNING IGNITION SWITCH
  • ELECTRICAL – STICKING OR BINDING IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER – HIGH EFFORT WHEN TURNING IGNITION SWITCH

Publication Date: OCTOBER 22, 2001

FORD:

1998-2002 CROWN VICTORIA, MUSTANG, TAURUS
1998-1999 F-250 LD
1998-2001 EXPLORER
1998-2002 E SERIES, EXPEDITION, F-150, RANGER, WINDSTAR
1999-2002 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
2000-2002 EXCURSION, EXPLORER SPORT
2001-2002 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC

LINCOLN:

1998-2002 CONTINENTAL, TOWN CAR, NAVIGATOR
2002 BLACKWOOD

MERCURY:

1998-2002 GRAND MARQUIS, SABLE
1998-2001 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE:

Some ignition switch lock cylinder assemblies may exhibit the following highly intermittent conditions:

This may be caused by a Key-In-Ignition warning chime switch.

• Roughness and/or excessive effort in turning the key from RUN to START position.
  • Key does not fully return from START to RUN after starting vehicle. This may result in intermittent accessory function.
  • Continental ONLY – A malfunction indicator lamp may illuminate with diagnostic trouble codes P0500, P1502 and U1039 stored in the Powertrain Control Modules (PCM) memory.

ACTION:

Replace the KEY-IN-IGNITION WARNING CHIME SWITCH located on the ignition switch lock cylinder with revised part XL2Z-11A127-AB. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute.
  2. Insert the ignition key and turn it to the RUN position.
  3. Insert a punch into the access hole (located in the lower steering column shroud, below the lock cylinder) and press the release button while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.

NOTE:SOME VEHICLES DO NOT HAVE AN ACCESS HOLE AND REQUIRE LOWER SHROUD REMOVAL. REFER TO THE APPROPRIATE MODEL WORKSHOP MANUAL, IGNITION SWITCH LOCK CYLINDER REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION SECTION 211 IF ADDITIONAL DETAIL IS REQUIRED.

4. Remove the Plastic Key chime warning switch by prying upward on the plastic retainer, while sliding the switch away from the key insertion end (Figure1). Refer to the appropriate model Workshop Manual, Key-in-ignition warning switch removal and installation section located in Section 413 if additional detail is required.
  5. Install a new Key-In-Ignition warning chime switch XL2Z-11A127-AB and reinstall lock cylinder.
  6. Verify proper function of the Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder and Key-In-Ignition warning chime switch.

PART NUMBERPART NAME

XL2Z-11A127-ABKey-In-Ignition Warning Chime Switch

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATIONDESCRIPTIONTIME

012113AReplace The Key-In-Ignition Warning Chime Switch0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE

11A12742

OASIS CODES:

102000, 112000, 202000, 203000, 204000, 204200, 205000, 206000, 207000, 208000, 208999, 301000, 302000, 497000, 504000, 601300, 603300, 698298

Figure 1 – Article 01-21-13

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

how does the ignition key turn?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ignition key cycles fine, no issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you see those two values on the oxygen sensors were 0V when it says the limits should be greater than or equal to .5VWhat do you make of that
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

yeah I saw that. But you said your watched the 02 sensors and they were working. I did see the circle and thought it was strange.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

tsb is there to fix P0500

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this all the advice you have for me?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

at the dealership we are trained to look for and deal with any TSB or SSM related to the codes or symptoms. I suggest pulling the ignition cylinder and replace XL2Z-11A127-AB​(less than 15$)

recheck the 02 sensors and let me know when watching live data of the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the GEM and the Key-In-Ignition Warning Chime Switch and I still have problems. Attached are the codes I currently have after replacing said parts. I have also attached a print-out of the O2 sensors as you requested. Something that might help is that my odometer comes and goes. A while back I removed the instrument cluster and re-flowed the solder and that seemed to work up to now. Also, I noticed under a hard acceleration that IDS loses communication with the PCM as I am monitoring MODE 6.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I have a bad instrument cluster that is preventing the catalyst test from running?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

I think you have a communication issue and it is a network issue. Since it is under hard acceleration I would check the harness to the PCM and anywhere it can move or rub if the engine rocks/moves when the torque of acceleration happens. I would watch live data on the IDS and do a wiggle test. P0600 is loss of communication.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am looking for a P0600? Because I currently don't have that code.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

my mistake. P0600 is a similar symptom. we could run a network test to see if we are dropping the cluster .

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

hard to diagnose issues like this and not be there. We need to duplicate the issue and catch it. The cluster may have an internal fault or the network failing causing the PCM monitors to reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the network was failing would all the monitors reset? There not all resetting, just the catalyst and EVAP wont run, others are good.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

You are right, all the monitors would reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with that do you think a bad instrument cluster would cause all those DTCs? I am down to thinking it is either the Instrument Cluster and/or the PCM. Tonight I am going to drive the truck and monitor the VSS pid and see if it matches road speed. If that is good, I would assume the sensor and wiring would be good and something else is causing the issue. I am also going to pull off the connector to the PCM and look for corrosion, etc. Can you give me some more avenues to go down........running out of options and patience! Thanks
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

did any codes come back?

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

I have an issue with the ford site, have not had access to schematics for a few days. Lets check fuses related to the 2 issues, evap and 02 sensors. Not positive but lets check fuse 23 in the battery junction box. best to check them all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked every single fuse already; there all good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pretty much the same codes came back, especially the p0500 which like you stated is probaly holding the test up. That's why I'm leaning towards a faulty PCM. However, I want to rule out everything before I swap that out.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

I have seen bad PCM'S before but very rare. Still doing research and picking some brains. I would agree with you, I am leaning towards the PCM.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

found this description of what is needed to run the catalyst monitor. we must be losing the VSS signal. we need to watch that PID and see if it drops out. Did you replace the ABS sensor in the differential

CATALYST MONITOR PRETEST CONDITIONS

• MIL is off.
  • No Emission related DTC's are present.
  • ECT signal between 170ºF-230ºF.
  • Engine load more than 10%.
  • Engine runtime over 330 seconds.
  • Engine operating in Closed Loop mode for 30 seconds.
  • FLI signal between 15-85%.
  • IAT signal between 20ºF-180ºF.
  • HO2S Response Test completed.
  • VSS range between 5-70 mph.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I monitored the VSS Pid last night and it didn't drop and was consistent with what the speedometer was reading. I ran a network test also and have attached the results. It is showing that the DLC is failing, but I don't know how that can be when IDS is connecting fine to the vehicle.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

Unless the module that is causing this issue has an intermittent communication with another module and not with the IDS. Like the cluster or EBCM. it may see the sensor like the VSS but not share all the time. I cannot access the Ford site but if I could I would look for the schematics of the network. Each module has to go to the DLC but some also go module to module. I am leaning more towards the cluster or a network issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you be able to look at that schematic later?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you suggest I look at from this point?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

I work on Verizon fleet vehicles, access to info is restricted now. I hope to get it back soon.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

You can check each module separate, run each for codes. I will look around and see if I can find the schematics.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ran the HCM and got one code, B1202. (print-out attached). I ran the PCM and just got the P1000 code for the readiness test not being complete. I also checked the PCM and there was no bent pins or corrosion. I am baffled on what is causing that P0500 code.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

both issues could be from the cluster. Both codes can stop the monitors from running. PCM needs to see vehicle speed and fuel level has to be between 1/4 and 3/4. Since you have dome so much and both codes can come from the cluster I would either send it out or replace. If you send it out you will not need to program. I sent out a EBCM and cost 50$ to fix. I have seen a few companies that do clusters also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else you can think off before I R2 the HEC? It is an expensive part?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

I see many on e-bay that fix clusters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2003-Ford-F150-Instrument-Cluster-Repair-Service-Speedometer-Dash-/231163344483?fits=Year%3A2001%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AF-150%7CSubmodel%3AXL%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A4.6L&hash=item35d268b663:g:818AAOSwDuJWulcz&vxp=mtr

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

I will guess it will be close to 400$ at the dealer and it will need to be programmed.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

no, I cannot think of anything else

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more thing of interest. This is my wife's truck, so I usually don't drive it much. However, last night I changed the oil after work at the shop and was driving home and noticed the digital odometer reading was going crazy. Off and on and displaying all kinds of random numbers really fast. That's all that was happening, no gauges were being affected and the truck acted fine, just that the odometer was going crazy. Then it just stopped and acted fine.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

yep, ford trucks and their clusters.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just got the Instrument Cluster from Ford, installed it and now my IDS won't communicate with the truck. Obviously it won't start either because of the PATS. How are you suppose to program PATS when IDS won't talk to the vehicle?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

can you program the cluster? there are 2 ways to program with the IDS. as-built data or programmable module install. The IDS first takes it off the old one(still in the vehicle) then transfers it to the replacement. If you cannot do the programming you will need to bring it to the dealership

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to communicate with other modules

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't even see the truck. The green light on the VCM that shows it is connected doesn't even light up. When i bought it from ford they ordered it for my VIN and programmed the miles in there.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

I have worked in a ford dealer for about 7 years and never saw that done. We always had to do the programing. check power at the OBD2 pin 16

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You never saw what done?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

we would get the clusters and program them.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

I have seen that done and replaced clusters on GM products like that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How did you program the clusters? Did you install them in the vehicle and program them with IDS?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Like I said 2 ways to do it. With old one in take info off it and then install new and transfer info. AS-built data is the best incase the programing is corrupted. That info come from the ford site.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

If you pull up modules on the IDS it will give a choice to program

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, not meaning to irritate you. But I just want to be clear in what I am doing so I am not screwing up my old cluster as well.
So install old cluster, communicate with vehicle, navigate to replace HEC module and follow instructions. Does this sound about right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if this installs correctly, after that I can program the two existing keys with IDS so the truck will start?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

yes. IDS is good with giving instructions. Yes again after the cluster is in you will be able to program the keys when you access security and follow the instructions.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

you are not irritating me, this is hard on both sides.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to get the cluster installed and programmed both keys. Now I have check for codes. Could be just me, but seems to shift different. Before it seemed like the engine would rev more before it shifted, now they are smoother and quicker. Could be just me though........
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

great, good to hear

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this morning I cleared the DTCs that were in there prior to me changing the instrument cluster. Started the truck and let it run for a minute or two and checked DTCs again. The P0500 came back and the vehicle didn't even move! Any suggestions?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

lets see if the monitors will clear. what was the other code? I am researching more.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

we need to watch the EBCM and see if it is getting a speed signal. We must be losing it somewhere or the sensor is bad. Did we ever change the VSS in the differential?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, haven't changed it because speedometer is working fine and it matched IDS. I probaly should just changed it to rule if out.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.

my thoughts too.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
OK, so I 've changed the VSS and PCM since we last communicated and I am still getting the same faults (print-out attached).
I really don't understand this as my speedometer and fuel gauge read correctly. I have no idea what to check next. Can you get a hold of a wiring diagram of the VSS and fuel sender?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
here is the attachment
Expert:  Ironmike replied 12 months ago.

since the IDS says VSS possible input output issue with trans can you monitor the sensors with the IDS to see if one of them drops out as you drive?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
What sensors should I monitor as I drive. VSS and Fuel Sender?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Do these two sensors intertwine in any way shape or form? Run through the same module or something?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 11 months ago.

ford either uses the rear abs sensor or the 2 on top of the trans. Same module gets the input and output sensor signals.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was looking at the wiring diagram and it looks like the Output shaft speed sensor goes to the PCM then converts to VSS which runs to the GEM and Speed control Servo. From what I am seeing the ABS or brake module have nothing to do with the VSS signal.Still confused about the fuel sender as there is only two wires that run direct to the instrument cluster and fuel guage works fine.
I am going to try and shoot these wires today and check for opens and shorts.