Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Ford f53: I have a 1999 f53 with 70000 miles should I use

Customer Question

I have a 1999 f53 with 70000 miles should I use recommended atf or would I be better using synthetic atf planning on a east to west coast trip
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 months ago.
Hello, are you doing the fluid change or having a shop do it? I will explain shortly
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am doing it
Thanks, ***** ***** realize sythentic may be a better long term product. tends to cut back of long term wear, buildup etc, and some say helps to shift better, but,, since you are doing it? byt dropping the pan and doing a drain and fill? you are not exchanging 1005 of the old trans fluid, Actually a bit more than the pan holds will still be left in the torque converter, You cant drain that so, in summary? I would not go to synthetic as you will be mixing 2 fluids, Stay with the regular atf, All will be fine, been like this for years, I do not recommend a change, the only way to do the change? a shop has to use a fluid exchange machine to change out all the fluid,, I have heard reports whereas some trans missions dont like synthetic and causes shifting problems, Dont risk it, do a drain and fill and the filter and all will be fine even for the trip
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can and will be draining torque converter and oil cooler . I just needed to know if there was a real advantage to synthetic
no thewre is not, claims of better gas mile age are false, but,, synthetic does not break down as fast as standard so, it can go longer between changes etc, No real solid advantage over the standard fluid , Like I mentioned, some do mention they think it helps shift better but this has not been confirmed by me or the shop, Its really your call but longevity of fluid changes is the key, other than that? really no clear defined advantage to using synthetic, BTW: I was offline most of the day so sorry for the delay