HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Ford Fusion: I'm having an overheating problem with a 2013

Customer Question

I'm having an overheating problem with a 2013 Ford with the 1.5L ecoboost engine. The dealership garage said there were no leaks detected in the system but during a radiator flush coolant backed up into the overflow tank. Is there a specific hose placement I should check? At a glance all major hoses match a twin vehicle confirmed working with the same engine. Are there any check valves that can go bad?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.
Did this happen after a cooling system flush? a 3.5 v6 engine?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The service dept. manager said it happened while they were flushing the system. And it's definitely the 1.5L v6, its a 2014 not 2013 sorry.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.
Ok for some reason I was thinking this was pickup truck, so its a sedan with the 1.5 liter? If you post the 17 digit VIN number ill know for sure what kind of vehicle you have. Since this happened during their service I would think it would be on them to fix this for you if its under warranty still.If its a Ford Escape like other newer vehicle if it gets an airpocket in the cooling system its a pain to get it to burp and not overheat.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The vin is 3FA6P0HD7ER148267. It was at ford for a few weeks to fix the overheating issue but the shop had been busy so they released the car and did not charge. Car is not under warranty. They said they got the air pocket eventually but they attempted the flush afterward and realized there could be something in the wrong place (causing the issue from the start, not dealers fault)
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.
Ok this is a 1.5 4 cyinder engine. This vehicle also has a branded title, meaning it has no warranty and was probably in a major accident for it to have a branded title. That being said, need to check some of the basics. FIrst off is the engine actually overheating or is the gauge reading a false overheat? Are the cooling fans coming on when the engine is supposedly running hot? Do the cooling fans work when the ac is turned on? Any diagnostic trouble codes stored? Are the upper and lower radiator hoses within 10 degrees temperature of each other?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.
Hello, do you need more help with this concern?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hey! The engine is overheating, it's not a faulty reading, the fans are coming on when it heats up, and the radiator hoses are within 10 degrees of each other. There are no DTCs stored on the computer. While looking at it today it seems as though the small radiator looking thing inside the intake manifold looks like it may have been damaged. The manifold itself was replaced but they said the radiator part was the original one. Could that contribute to the odd flow during the flush?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.
Yes if the part looks damaged and restricting flow. Otherwise an issue with the water pump not moving coolant or stuck closed thermostat would be main items to check