Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I'm having issues with my 1999 F350, 7.3l diesel motor. I've

Customer Question

I'm having issues with my 1999 F350, 7.3l diesel motor. I've changed the ICP sensor twice and the crank shaft position sensor. Could it be a wiring problem? Because it's acting like the ICP again, but I unplugged it and it didn't straighten out.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** there any trouble codes? What all has been tried to fix this? Just cam sensor and ICP?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The problem is that the check
Engine light does come on but when we connect it, it won't connect. Do I have no codes. I've changed the fuel pump, the fuel filter
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It cuts out while I'm driving it and then when I come to a stop and it drops below 1000 Rpms it does. Not every time....
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.
Sounds like you may have a IDM codes tored, they won't pick up with a cheap code reader. Does it run rough intermittently?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So we figured it would be something with the fuel.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No it doesn't.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.
I would have the vehicle tested with a quality scan tool that will read diesel trouble codes to see where to start first.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.
If you get a code I can get a pinpoint test.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Thanks. I will have to see about that tomorrow.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.
Not a problem just let me know what you find out, I am online after 6pm central.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yea I work at Oreillys and been trying to use the Bosch scanner we have there.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.
Ok I see, is there a repair shop close by you can get scanned?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Scott W. replied 7 months ago.
Ok good, just let me know, also have them run a KOEO, key on engine off, test and see if there are IDM codes stored also.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I totally forgot to tell you what I had found out. I had bought a cam shaft position sensor from Oreillys and installed it. They told me that I needed a motor raft part because he had the same problem with his 7.3. So I got the part from ford and haven't had a problem since!!!
Expert:  Scott W. replied 6 months ago.
Ok, those aftermarket parts are all junk, the Ford ones are the only ones that work, for instance we had a city vehicle that would randomly stall when it was in the city lot, everytime someone keyed a mic, the vehicle would stall, we found a bad icp sensor that was aftermarket causing it all, that was tough to find, lol.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Those sensors are a pain to figure out which one!!! I've changed the ICP twice in it too. Both times it's been the BWD parts. So if it does it again I guess I will go to ford. It is $107 my cost so I can imagine what the dealer charges..... Hey, but I still LOVE my ford!
Expert:  Scott W. replied 6 months ago.
Yes you are correct, thnks for the reply.