Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat: i have 1990 ford 351,efi, gets

Customer Question

i have 1990 ford 351,efi, gets too much fuel at idle.. eng runs o.k. with full or par. throttle, very high fuel use
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hi Dave,125 to 135 is low compression pressure, clouds of BLUE smoke means you have engine mechanical problems.Does this engine has a modified camshaft?How many miles on this engine?You say "gets too much fuel at idle". What are the symptoms, fuel smell, leaking fuel , BLACK smoke which is fuel, BLUE smoke is engine oil?Gary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I believe it,s fuel smoke as it cleares up when you give it full throttle. runs fast and lumpy at idle, runs clean at part throttle.new set of plugs soot-up with-in min of running. it runs trough 4 gal of gas very fast.w/o leaving my yard.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Gary, sorry I was slow in responding I sent back rely @06:23. is it possible a injector is not working correctly.or is it the control mod. is there some way I can test injectors? dave
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hi Dave,Do all the plugs soot up, or only certain cylinders?Have you MEASURED the fuel pressure?Sounds like you have some injectors partly stuck open.4 gallons of gas in your yard is an awful lot.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
Hi Dave,I would take the injectors and fuel rail out, and then mount it upside down so you see the injector spray pattern, and leaking injectors, stuck open. Gary