A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2006 mustang gt 4.6 v8 leaks small amounts of coolant from

Customer Question

2006 mustang gt 4.6 v8 leaks small amounts of coolant from the bell housing? could this be a freeze plug leak?
JA: Spark plugs are something you never think about until they start to act up. Fortunately, the mechanics are real masters, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best one for this. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 4.6 v8 mustang gt leaks coolant from the bell housing.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: nope
JA: OK! The Ford Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: the fluid amount is small and leaks randomly when it sits for periods of time in the garage.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.
It may be from the coolant pipe under the intake manifold. Look behind and under the alternator under the intake manifold for coolant leaking. It may be draining back and through the bell housing of the transmission. But if it is dry under the intake, then it is a freeze plug on the back side of the engine.