HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

E4OD: I am wondering if I unplug the solenoid connector on

Customer Question

I am wondering if I unplug the solenoid connector on an E4OD, will the transmission operate correctly in Manual 1? I just rebuilt this trans for an engine swap and do not have a controller yet to try otherwise. When I put it in manual 1 , I get a serious dragging feeling in the transmission like 2 gears engaged together. Maybe the coast clutch and OD? Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 7 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assistdid you air test the clutch packs??? what were the clearances of the packs when assembled??? it sounds like you may have a clutch pack too tight. no, do not unplug the connector. this is a basic mechanical issue not an electronic control issue Roy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The connector is unplugged. I did air test the Pistons , etc. and checked the clearances. Overdrive works, manual 2 and reverse works ..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also it will coast in manual 1 until I accelerate .
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.
Hello, when you unplug the transmission bulkhead connector it puts the transmission into a failsafe mode. It will command maximum line(EPC) pressure and give you reverse gear and second gear only. So you should not have any engine braking.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I thought I should have 4th also
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hear conflicting info on the Internet .
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 months ago.
No, Failsafe mode only gives one forward gear range and reverse gear with maximum line pressure to limp home.