Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

Cam phaser JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really

Customer Question

cam phaser
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: rough idling, hesitation
JA: Finding the cause of a rough idle can be tough, but luckily with the right help...solvable. The mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes i am if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: changed the solonoids
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: check engine light is on, knocking sound
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** vehicle do you have, model, year, engine size?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2008 f150 xlt 5.4
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.
The cam solenoids you replaced, were they Ford solenoids?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes they were, both
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hello
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.
Ok, I would check the base engine oil pressure just to be sure, the phasers run off oil pressure, if it is low, less than 15 psi that needs to be addressed first. Most likely you have cam tensioners with the gaskets blown out. We will replace the tensioners, phasers, and guides and chains and they will be fine as long as the oil pressure is ok.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.
9 times out of 10 when we replace the solenoids the problem is fixed, your may have a tensioner gasket blown out, when we go in we replace everything just so we don't have to go back in at a later date.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.
Do you need any repair information?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how long does the job take to do?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.
It is done in a day usually, we charge around 8hrs.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
so replace the cams, tensioners and guide chains
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.
Phasers, tensioners and guides, if the engine has a lot of miles over 100k I would replace the chains also. As long as oil pressure is better than 15 you should be fine. Also when in there a good idea to pull a cam cap and inspect for wear, if it is worn badly, it needs a new engine, not real common, if it looks like new, they usually do, you just need the timing components mentioned.
Expert:  Scott W. replied 9 months ago.
When you are finished, please take the time to rate my serrvice, we can go back and forth on this until you can give a 5 star rating.