A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

My 08 Edge is running hot. I think one of the fans is not

Customer Question

My 08 Edge is running hot. I think one of the fans is not coming on. The temp on the diagnostic never says it hot. But the thermostat does fast.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The car is just running hot for no reason. But I've noticed one of the fans does not kick on when idling.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replacing fluids and watching the temps. But it just started doing this. I'm not sure where to start
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: No. Otherwise it's great.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 7 months ago.
The cooling fans should both run when the AC is on. When the engine gets past half way on the temperature gauge, both cooling fans should run. If only one fan is running, the fan assembly should be replaced. It includes both cooling fans and the module for the fans.